Firefighter Basics: The Opening Act

Thanks or the response we received on checking you SCBA when arriving for shift. We received several notes of encouragement asking us for more so we will work to get it done.

The First thing we are going to share is arriving for duty. This fits no matter if your paid or volunteer. If you are going to pull a duty shift or just hang at the firehouse for a bit, there are several things that should happen:

1. Get to the firehouse 30 to 45 minutes early. As a firefighter you need to get a general impression of the apparatus as well.

2. Stow your bag and ensure you are in the proper uniform for the day.

3. Inspect your turnout gear and report any questionable areas to your supervisor.

4. Let the person whom you are relieving know your ready to take their spot and get a turnover from what happened with them the shift before.

5. We covered checking your SCBA, and those goes along with inspecting your turnout gear as well.

6. Inspect the tools on the apparatus and make a game plan on what needs to be serviced or possibly taken out of service.

7. Now find your supervisor if you do not have a roll call, and find out your plan of the day. Let him/her know what you have found in the morning, so  that  they can incorporate that in to their plans.

8. Tell your officer upfront the things you need to work on training wise

9. Knock out your daily chores.

10. Be ready to train, and most importantly be ready for calls for service.

These are just a few items, I’m sure others will add more, and are welcome to.

FF Basic Cone Drill one

• Caleb says:

Don’t forget to stretch! We never know when we have to go from zero to all out so stretching at the start of each shift is critical. Your body will thank you in 10-15 years!

• Ed Lottermoser says:

I am an ” old timer ” in the fire service, 53 years and I enjoy reading these posts. Thank you

• jimmy Davis says:

Be fit for duty and keep fire in your life; be proactive and lead by example. Come to work with a positive attitude and keep your self safe and the other team members of your crew.

• Herman Moore says:

Setting a time for physical fitness is important. We enjoy our 8am crossfit.

• I am an Emergency Officer in Namibia and I enjoy reading these posts and I still need more information from you guys on how maintain and control the Fire Station.

• firestudent1 says:

Petrus,
    Thank you for your comment. Please feel free to email us at firefighterbasics@gmail.com or comment any of your questions here, so that your Brothers and Sister can share their experiences as well. Thank you very much for your readership and we look forward to a learning partnership with you.

• Raymond says:

Petrus,
    My name is Ray, I have worpked in the fire service for 22 years – as a firefighter and a company officer – I have worked and supervised engine and ladder companies. Feel free to email me as well at : raymonodj53@ymail.com

I am also a fire service instructor at our local college. I am willing to help you in any way I can.

• Wink says:

Hydrate drink water. Cramps, heat stroke, and heat exustion are very common in the fire service remember drink water till you pee clear