Ok, while I’m not great at getting all the pretty visuals in here yet, this is another good drill for everyone, boss to probie.
Your company is dispatched to a dumpster fire at 01:30 in your apartment complex, your dispatcher notifies you that PD is on the scene with a dumpster fully involved at the location. As your company turns onto the street you pass the closest hydrant, you can see a glow from around the last building in the complex. You arrive to find a commercial dumpster going from end to end, with exposures on the B, C, and D sides of the dumpster. Vehicles on the B and D side and a wooden privacy fence, and electrical pole well involved on the C side. Dumpsters are a cake walk right, wrong! Here’s some questions to jumpstart the mind.
1. What level of PPE is required on this job?
2. Where should your apparatus be positioned?
3. What size line are you going to stretch?
4. What hazards present themselves with the dumpster?
5. Overall hazards of this fire?
6. Do you have procedures in place at your FD for overhaul?
7. What safety considerations are needed for your crew?
8. Trash line attack, or do you have other option?
9. Are bystanders or PD a reliable source of information?
10.Oh yeah, you have 500 gallons of water, now what?