Give the best saying or phrase you use or have heard by Jeff Schwering

Many quotes and sayings, whether by well known Brother firefighters or the guy on the next due company, seem to play a part in who we are as firefighters and as Brothers! Lets see how many we can come up with. Since I’m tossing the gauntlet, I’ll be first: First In, Last Out by John Salka, “Leadership would be easy, if it wasn’t for people!”

• Engine Captain Missouri says:

You can’t send a duck to eagle school!

• firestudent1 says:

“I have never seen a textbook put out a fire, but have seen the well trained firefighter who read that textbook put out the fire.” Author Unknown

• pfd24 says:

“When the trash truck rounded the corner and none of the trashmen were yelling: ”big pile! we gotta job! we’re gonna need more gloves! get the crusher ready! HE’S GOT CARDBOARD BOXES!!!!” They’re trashmen. They expect to pick up trash. We’re firefighters, we should expect to go to fires.” —Traditions Training, Referring to radio communications.

• Grant Mishoe says:

“When in doubt there is no doubt”

“If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the Gods to honour the men who make it their professional business to put it out?”

PFD; I love that.

• Nate Q. says:

“Always step off the truck with your tools. Otherwise, you might as well be standing across the street with the rest of those people.” -The senior FF on my first day.

“A firefighter without a tool is really just a well-dressed civilian.” – Unknown

• Training38 says:

“On the fireground, if you become involved in a crisis situation, you will not rise to the occasion, but, rather default to your level of training.”
    -Author Unknown

“The things that matter the most happen after the air brake is set.”
    -Author Unknown

“Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”
    M. Penar, LFFD

• HallwaySledge says:

“If you think you are a fireman because you made it through the academy you’ve got another thing coming. The real learning on this job comes from graduation day forward.”

~Me

FE Talk: Humpday Hangout

Comments
Brian M. Wilson
Getting Back 2 the Basics: Why did you ever leave them pt. II
I can't believe people would not care enough about their own lives to not ware all of the required and provided Turnout Gear. I mean, what are you going to do when entering and starting your search, STOP and sit down and say, let's just stay out here for a while until it cools ?…
2015-05-05 14:25:36
Wink
Firefighter Basics: The Opening Act
Hydrate drink water. Cramps, heat stroke, and heat exustion are very common in the fire service remember drink water till you pee clear
2015-04-17 21:12:57
Raymond
Firefighter Basics: The Opening Act
Petrus, My name is Ray, I have worpked in the fire service for 22 years - as a firefighter and a company officer - I have worked and supervised engine and ladder companies. Feel free to email me as well at : raymonodj53@ymail.com I am also a fire service instructor at our local college. I…
2015-04-17 18:48:58
firestudent1
Firefighter Basics: The Opening Act
Petrus, Thank you for your comment. Please feel free to email us at firefighterbasics@gmail.com or comment any of your questions here, so that your Brothers and Sister can share their experiences as well. Thank you very much for your readership and we look forward to a learning partnership with you.
2015-04-16 13:12:26
Kevin Keighron
Firefighter Basics: The Opening Act
Petrus, my name is Kevin. I am a 12 year veteran of the fire service. I would love to help you. You can email me at k.p.keighron@gmail.com and we can figure out where to start.
2015-04-16 12:57:32