Where Did the Pride Go!

Has anyone noticed lately that we have started to navigate away from wearing actual uniforms? The uniform was one of  the most scared parts of our job. Putting on our uniform could make a man change the way he felt on the inside. Firefighters today have just started wearing whatever they feel. You see firefighters in hats that don’t match of all colors. Sneakers with the uniform instead of some nicely polished boots. Collar brass is either missing or hanging off. Firefighters whom could careless about having a Class A uniform for when the time comes to be at a formal function or when having to do the unthinkable and ring out that last alarm for a brother who has returned home to quarters for the last time. Perhaps the most disturbing part are the Chief Officers these days who wear the business suits or everything else but a uniform to work. Where did the pride go? When was it not the classier thing to wear to a function where you are representing the department? When did it not become good enough to display your pride and belief in your department?  When did a degree make you such a snob that you feel a uniform is not professional enough? These are questions I pose because our uniform is what sets us apart and makes us stand out from the rest. It is such an amazing feeling to be out in the public and have a citizen you protect come up to you and say you firefighters sure are sharp. I will even go as far as to say this. You show me a department that has a well thought out and squared away uniform and I’ll show you a department that is pretty squared away. If you show me a department that every member wears something different and Chief Officers who either half wear the uniform or don’t wear one at all, or firefighters who wear the uniform how they want I will show you a dysfunctional department. It may seem simple to you but think about what you just read and I think you will find it to be true. Our uniform speaks volumes about us, and our department. The next time you put on your uniform have some Pride! The uniform represents what we stand for, who we are, and most importantly those who came before.

• Patches says:

Well i haven’t posted anywhere in a while, but I read this and it hit home. I am in agreeance. I do not understand why people work for a place that requires, or at least should require, then turn around and complain about having to wear it. Someone please answer that. If you don’t want to wear the uniform go find somewhere that doesn’t require one. Have some pride in your department. How can you be the head of your department and wear your uniform once a month? I just don’t understand. You should be proud to put your uniform on. By the way great site, I am sure I will return for more. Be safe.

• firestudent1 says:

Patches you have very valid points. Thank you for the kind words and I hope our site can be a place you feel welcome and free to share.

• ChiefMO says:

I’m all about wearing a uniform that makes sense. Should an officer on a front-line pumper wear white?

• firestudent1 says:

ChiefMO,

I would say it would be OK if your department issues you enough white shirts. If you are only issued two shirts not so much. I tend to lean towards the dark shirts with embroidery for firefighters on the line. If you want to dare to be different you can put the officers in light blue. Chiefs should always be in white. That is my opinion.

• cuff2912 says:

I personally dont care how guys wear their uniforms in the firehouse, as long as they are presentable out in public. We have more pressing issues to worry about than if a guys shirt is not pressed and starched. The bosses that get all bent out of shape about uniforms use that as a cover for their lack of skill. Not all of them, but in my experience that has been the case quite often.

• firestudent1 says:

Cuff, we are on the same page. In fact I’m gulity of not catching thingd before I go out of the station myself. What I really hope that is taken from this to put pride back in all we do. The uniform is one of many little things. My dad always told me though if the little things are taken care of, the big things will take care of themselves. I enjoy your comments and hope you offer more.

Firefighter Basics launched in February 2009 after Founder/Editor Marques Bush was looking for a way to express himself and share his experiences with brother and sister firefighters. Shortly after founding the site Marques spoke with several trusted friends and ask them to come on board and contribute also. Firefighter Basics is a dedicated group of firefighters who strive everyday to practice what they preach about Training, Safety, and Tradition. We can be reached at firefighterbasics@gmail.com